Tuesday, September 07, 2004

The subway adventure.......

Since the vehicular disaster back in July, I've been taking the train
and the metro buses to work and everywhere out of walking range.

Metro is good.....

It usually runs on time except when things go really wrong....Like the
day someone/thing got squished by a Blue Line train and it took me 3
hours to get home.

People on the train are very nice and friendly - everyone is trying to
get somewhere and it's never a short trip for anyone. My commute to work
is almost exactly 2 hours, doorstep to doorstep. I leave my house @ 5:40
AM and walk into my office at 7:30 or 7:40 depending on how fast my long
legs feel like carrying me.

Metro has done an amazing job zigzagging bus and train routes all across
this huge city so that a person can get practically anywhere anytime. I
take the subway three quarters of the way to my office and take a bus the
last few miles. I can get to just about any beach within reason, in Los
Angeles county on a BUS! How rockin is that?

I'm even writing this entry from the bus!

Okay, here are the down sides:

1. I can't get near my office without going though Compton.

2. They give prisoners, newly released - former menaces to society, bus
tokens to get home with.

3. If an accident happens, like the squishing incident previously
mentioned, you can be guaranteed an extra hour or 2 of standing and
waiting. Those are the times when people are rude and you wonder if you
were transplanted to new York somehow.

4. I spend 4 hours a day with Metro. Can we make a commute longer
please?

5. Men who take to train and bus assume you must be desperate for male
company if you ride the bus so I get hit on constantly. I've found that
wearing reading glasses and giving the "pissed off librarian over the
bifocals" look along with the shortest answer possible shuts them up
quick.

See you!

No comments: